The San Francisco SPCA offers a wide variety of reasonably priced dog training classes, as well as playgroups and educational seminars. Knowledgeable instructors use reward-based training methods to help you train your dog—building a stronger bond while creating a well behaved canine companion.
Questions? Please call 415.522.3509 and we'll be happy to assist you.
Categories of Training Programs
Young dogs need lots of chances to practice positive interactions with a variety of other dogs of their age in a safe, supervised environment. Puppies under 18 weeks of age are invited to join us for Puppy Playgroup, while teenaged pups between 18 weeks and 8 months are welcome to check out Adolescent Playgroup!
Classes, Seminars and Information Sessions for People
Take advantage of opportunities to learn more about everything from how to manage a new puppy or dog in the home to dealing with separation-related issues, to getting certified in Pet CPR. Many of these programs are completely free.
- Puppy Parent Orientation
- New Dog 101
- Dog-Dog Social Behavior Seminar
- Fido Home Alone Seminar
- Shy Dog Seminar
- Reactive Rover Seminar
- Leash Reactivity Support Group
- Pet First Aid and CPR
- Muzzle-Up! Seminar
Beginner Manners Classes
Whether your dog is 3 months old or 13 years old, start your basic manners training here!
- Puppy Manners 1 - for dogs up to 16 weeks old
- Adolescent Manners 1 - for dogs 4 - 9 months old
- Adult Manners 1 - for dogs over 5 months old (Previously "Just the Basics")
- Small Adult Manners 1 - for small dogs over 5 months old (Previously "Just the Small Basics")
Intermediate Manners Classes
Have fun and continue advancing your dog’s skills, tackling new challenges and building on what you’ve both learned in basic training.
- Puppy Manners 2 (Previously "Super Puppy!")
- Adult Manners 2 (Previously "Just the Basics 2")
- Small Adult Manners 2 (Previously "Just the Small Basics 2")
Does your dog have challenges meeting other dogs on leash or need a refresher on recall? Do you want to learn TTouch, tricks, or master loose-leash walking? Check out our Specialty Classes.
- Beyond the Back Yard
- Bravery Class for Shy Dogs
- Canine Good Citizen Prep Class
- Canine Good Citizen Test
- Focus: Attention, Not Tension
- Freestyle Heelwork
- Introduction to TTouch
- Loose Leash Walking and Heeling
- Reactive Rover
- Puppy Tricks
- Tricks Too!
- Yay! Vet Visit!
Challenge your dog mentally and physically while strengthening your bond - Try an Agility class, or work on developing your dog’s innate scenting ability with K9 Nose Work®.
- Agility for Fun
- Puppy Agility
- Introduction to Agility
- Agility 2
- Advanced Agility
- Introduction to K-9 Nose Work
- Introduction to Odor
- Continuing Nose Work
- Advanced Topics in K9 Nose Work